Salesperson Licensing Program
August 29, 2013
Salesperson Licensing Program
Salesperson Licensing Program: Revised Application Form
Reminder: In October 2012, the Ohio BMV released a revised version of the Motor Vehicle Dealer Salesperson License Application (BMV 4301, Rev. 10/12). Going forward, dealers should use this updated form, as the BMV will no longer accept previous versions. Failure to use the appropriate application will cause significant time delays in processing by the BMV.
Click here to download the revised Salesperson License Application
At the request of numerous dealers, your Association offers a member benefit to assist in the licensing of your sales staff. As you may know, a new salesperson must be licensed prior to him or her taking part in the sale of an automobile on behalf of your dealership. The practice of utilizing an unlicensed salesperson may place your dealer’s license at risk.
The GCADA Salesperson Licensing Program manages this process from start to finish. GCADA conducts the electronic fingerprinting in-office, eliminating the need for a separate visit to a fingerprinting agency or police department. Further, the application will be reviewed for any missing items or inaccuracies that could delay the licensing process, prior to being forwarded to the Ohio BMV.
Here’s how it works:
- Your dealership hires a new salesperson.
- You send the individual to GCADA (click here for directions) with the following items:
- A valid photo ID
- A fingerprinting authorization form (click here to download)
- A fully completed Motor Vehicle Dealer Salesperson License Application (click here to download), including notarization.
- The salesperson comes to GCADA with the items mentioned above and has his/her fingerprints taken electronically.
- Once GCADA receives the fingerprinting results, they are forwarded along with the Salesperson License Application to Ohio BMV Dealer Licensing.
- The newly issued license is mailed to the dealership by the BMV.
The dealership will be billed a flat GCADA member fee of $42 per applicant which covers the fingerprinting charges and the salesperson’s licensing fee. In comparison, other independent services charge $42 for the electronic BCI fingerprint check only. As a reminder, this program is for new salespersons or salespersons whose license expired over a year ago. With regards to renewals and transfers, those transactions should be handled directly through the BMV as they do not require new fingerprints to be taken.
Note: A salesperson's license is valid for two (2) years. Any license expired for more than one (1) year must apply for a new “First Time” license (i.e., under this one-year grace period after the license expires, the dealership can contact the BMV directly for a renewal at a reduced cost).
If you are interested in the GCADA Salesperson Licensing Program or have any questions, please contact Karen Ford or Joel Kincannon at (440) 746-1500 or by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.